Sunday, July 18, 2010

the weight of silence.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book is amazing. While it took me close to a month to get through it (as I could only read during my lunch break at work), it's a very quick read.

Gudenkauf's style is genius and completely entralling. I will admit that I got through a good chunk of the book pretty skeptical, as you feel like you already have all the answers and there's no mystery left. You know where the "lost" girls are and how it happened. Or you think you do. I love books where I get bitch-slapped by the author in the end for assuming they didn't think I was smart enough and everything finally falls into place. I had to go back and reread the first chapter when I realized how wrong I was about a seemingly very small fact at the beginning of the book that completely through me off.

I read one review where the reader felt like there was no depth the characters and I absolutely beg to differ. That reader could not have been in the same book I was.

My favorite part is close to the end when Ben figures out how to get the facts. I will openly admit that during that part and several others, I almost cried. It takes a lot for a book to either make me cry, or laugh out loud. (There was no laughing during this book, though.) I should not have been reading it at my desk..

Well done, Gudenkauf. Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment