Sunday, March 20, 2011

kindles don't kill books, people do.


I bought a Kindle about 2 weeks ago and I am in love. I didn't want an e-reader, at all. I had nothing against them, I just had no reason for one. Eventually, I discovered I actually had a lot of reasons.

People seem to have pretty strong opinions of the Kindle; you either love 'em or you hate 'em. Why is that necessary? Why would you hate an electronic? It should be that you either love 'em, or you don't own one. What's the point of hating something that no one's forcing you to even have? It's just. An object. Get over it.



"No glare!" You know what else doesn't have glare? Books!
Just... stop talking. You sound like a child. It's called marketing, and these ads are not bashing books, they're bashing the competition (i.e. iPads). Newsflash: despite ignorantly popular belief, e-books' competition is not an actual book. You're an idiot.

Is our society really so lazy that they can't turn a G-D page anymore?
You think that's the only reason people want e-readers? You think they're paying $100+ to push a button instead of turn a page? This just sounds like a serious case of I-hate-change. Get over it and give our technology-driven society a little more credit.
I wonder if people were horrified that they started printing words on paper instead of just reading them off the cave walls like they had been doing since the beginning of time. Is it so hard to just go to the wall and read? Are we so lazy that we have to have the words in our hands so we don't have to stand up?
We are a society constantly striving for improvement in convenience, time-management and general efficiency. Learn to grow with it, or get left behind. It's not a bad thing and we won't stop moving.

You have a Kindle? Aw, I kind of wanted one, but I'm just not ready to give up books.
This is not a joke; I've had several people say this to me. Um, I haven't given up books. I do, in fact, still read them. I can even keep them in the same room as my Kindle. They seem to get along okay.
There are some books I wouldn't even want electronically. I get to choose, it's really kind of amazing.

The point of books, believe it or not, is to read, to educate and use your mind. The bottom line is that it really doesn't matter how you read, as long as you're doing it. So, who's to judge whether someone turns over a piece of paper or hits a button to do it? To each his own. Do we really have to judge everyone for every little thing they do if it's not what we would choose?


I have a Kindle for a few reasons. I like that when I read in public, the entire world doesn't know what I'm reading (especially when the majority of things I read about are eating disorders, rape, drugs, psych crap... and that awkward time I wanted to read Breaking Dawn on the Green Line...). I like that I can lay down in bed comfortably without fighting to keep pages flat and open. I like that I can finally read while I'm on the bike or treadmill at the gym, because I'm not struggling to keep the pages open while I'm trying to fight my lack of cardio strength.
At the same time, I love books. I love the smell of them and the activity of reading them in general.
Here's the bottom line: if you don't like it, don't get it. But let everyone do what they please. Go start a paper-only book club and call it a day. Write a damn book about how much you hate electronics and refuse to have it published as an e-book. I don't care. I don't even care if you write a whole blog about why you hate the Kindle, but at least back it up with something more solid than, "People are too lazy to turn pages." That's just ignorance.

Oh, and FYI, e-readers are saving the planet.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE my Kindle too! I couldn't agree with you more. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mine because I can carry a bunch of books (and a dictionary!) when I'm on vacation without having to give up space!

    ReplyDelete