Saturday, February 28, 2009

music that makes you dumb.

Let's look at a few things.. first of all, someone actually took the TIME to make this chart. What does that tell you. Second of all, considering you can find basically every kind of music/band you can think of off the top of your head and none of them (aside from Beethoven) exceed 1300, I'm going to have to say this is far from evidence-based. Although, I am happy to find Ben Folds and Guster coming closer to making the cut. However, a large majority of people who score over 1300 and *gasp* even hit the big 1600 probably listen to a lot of this.

Does the person who made this chart not listen to music? It doesn't even make sense.
And one more thing.. isn't the highest you can score on SATs now 2400 or something?? They added a new section after my class took them. Whatever.

3 comments:

  1. In my honest opinion, I don't think music can make you dumb. I think music can only increase your mental capacity and value. Even the crap I think is stupid has some value. And that's just how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 3 months behind on this blog... anyway.

    This is, wait for it, retarded.
    1. While Beethoven listeners are apparently geniuses, those who listen to "Classical" music scored an avg 978. Thanks for bringin down the average, Bach.
    2. Assuming this chart is accurate, it means more dumb kids listen to rap... not that rap makes you dumb. It should be called "What smart and dumb kids listen to." Which brings me to...
    3. SAT scores don't signify who's smart and dumb. There are so many factors that dilute the correlation between raw intelligence and the SATs that I'm only going to ask, is the author of this data still living in 1989?
    4. Notice Phish and Weezer (2 pothead bands) made the top-20. I'm not calling bullshit without doing research of my own, but it certainly casts more doubt on whatever the hell we're supposed to take from this.

    Don't you MISS me commenting on this blog? What else did you write about... let's see...

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I'd call Weezer a pothead band... I guess I was just on a roll. It's not even 8am, cut me a break. Plus, I'm listening to Dave Matthews right now, which means I'm making myself dumber.

    Jay, Part Deux

    ReplyDelete